Uncommon Decency: Christian Civility in an Uncivil World
Author: Richard J. Mouw
|Uncommon Decency: Christian Civility in an Uncivil World (Revised) (2ND ed.)|
Can Christians act like Christians even when they disagree? In these wild and diverse times, right and left battle over the airwaves, prolifers square off against prochoicers, gay liberationists confront champions of the traditional family, artists and legislators tangle, even Christians fight other Christians whose doctrines aren't "just so."
Richard Mouw has been actively forging a model of Christian civil conversation with those we might disagree with—atheists, Muslims, gay activists and more. He is concerned that, too often, Christians have contributed more to the problem than to the solution. But he recognizes—from his dialogues with those from many perspectives—that it's not easy to hold to Christian convictions and treat sometimes vindictive opponents with civility and decency.
Few if any people in the evangelical world have conversed as widely and sensitively as Mouw. So few can write more wisely or helpfully than Mouw does here about what Christians can appreciate about pluralism, the theological basis for civility, and how we can communicate with people who disagree with us on the issues that matter most.
Physical Info: 0.57" H x 7.7" L x 5.1" W (0.55 lbs) 192 pages
Publisher: InterVarsity Press
US SRP: 16.00 US
Pub Date: September 01, 2010
Mouw is president of Fuller Theological Seminary in Pasadena, California. Before coming to Fuller in 1985 as professor o, California. Before coming to Fuller in 1985 as professor of Christian philosophy and ethics, he was for seventeen years professor of philosophy at Calvin College in Grand Rapids, Michigan.
1. Convicted Civility: Can We Be Faithful & Polite Too?
2. What Christian Civility Is Not
3. Defending Christian Civility
4. Speaking in God’s Presence: The Importance of Civil Speech
5. Open Hearts: The Importance of Civil Attitudes
6. The Spiritual Underpinnings
7. What’s Good About Pluralism?
8. How to Be Civil About Sex
9. The Challenge of Other Religions
10. Christian Leadership in a Pluralistic World
11. When There Is No “On the Other Hand”: The Limits of Civility
12. Is Hell Uncivil?
13. Abraham Kuyper, Meet Mother Teresa: The Problem of Triumphalism
14. Serving a Slow God: Civility and the End of Time
Afterword: A Civil Hug
- Religion | Christian Theology | Ethics
- Religion | Christian Life | Social Issues
-Christian life -Courtesy
LC Call Number: BV4647.C78
To browse more products click the back button at the top of the page.
Arch Children's Books
Need Help? Call Customer Service at 608-723-5867
11:00AM - 2:00PM Monday-Friday 9:00AM - 11:00 AM Saturday Central Standard Time
Need books or bibles by the case? Special discounts for churches or groups, call 608-723-5867, ask for ext. 100
Despite our best efforts, a small number of items listed on our website may be mispriced.
These WWW pages ©2019 Books of the Bible Christian Bookstore. All Rights Reserved.Books of the Bible Christian Bookstores