Encountering the New Testament: by W.A. Elwell & R.W. Yarbrough
W.A. Elwell & R.W. Yarbrough
|Encountering the New Testament|
A Historical and Theological Survey
Studying the New Testament can be an exciting--and intimidating--experience. This readable survey is designed to make the adventure less daunting and more rewarding. Two senior scholars offer a new edition of their award-winning introductory text, now with updated content and a new interior design. Other distinguishing features include abundant images, maps, and charts--all in full color; sidebars that address ethical and theological concerns and provide primary source material; focus boxes isolating key issues; chapter outlines, learning objectives, and summaries; and study questions.
ISBN: 0801039649 EAN: 9780801039645
Used Stock Check
Publisher: Baker Academic
US SRP: 49.99 US
Pub Date: May 15, 2013
Copyright Date: 2013
Series: Encountering Biblical Studies
Features: Bibliography, Glossary, Illustrated, Index, Maps, Table of Contents
Physical Info: 1.3" H x 9.3" L x 7.0" W (2.75 lbs) 430 pages
Carton Quantity: 12
This book is accompanied by free online resources.
To the Professor
To the Student
1. Why Study the New Testament?
Part 1: Encountering Jesus and the Gospels
2. The Middle East in the Days of Jesus
3. The Gospel and the Four Gospels
4. The Gospel of Matthew: The Messiah Has Come!
5. The Gospel of Mark: Son of God, Servant of All
6. The Gospel of Luke: A Savior for All People
7. The Gospel of John: Eternal Life through His Name
8. Man from Galilee: The Life of Jesus Christ
9. Lord, Teach Us: The Teaching Ministry of Jesus Christ
10. Modern Approaches to the New Testament: Historical Criticism and Hermeneutics
11. The Modern Study of the Gospels
12. The Modern Search for Jesus
Part 2: Encountering Acts and the Earliest Church
13. The World and Identity of the Earliest Church
14. Acts 1-7: The Earliest Days of the Church
15. Acts 8-12: Salvation for Both Jew and Gentile
16. Acts 13-28: The Light of Christ to the Ends of the Earth
Part 3: Encountering Paul and His Epistles
17. All Things to All People: Life and Teachings of the Apostle Paul
18. Romans: Right with God
19. Corinthians and Galatians: Apostolic Counsel for Confused Churches
20. Ephesians, Philippians, Colossians, and Philemon: Letters from Prison
21. Thessalonians, Timothy, and Titus: A Legacy of Faithfulness
Part 4: Encountering the General Epistles and the Apocalypse
22. Hebrews and James: Maintaining Full Commitment to Christ
23. Peter, John, and Jude: A Call to Faith, Hope, and Love
24. Revelation: God Is in Control!
Epilogue: Matters to Ponder
Contributor Bio: Elwell, Walter A
Walter A. Elwell (Ph.D., University of Edinburgh) is emeritus professor of biblical and theological studies at Wheaton College in Wheaton, Illinois, where he taught for nearly thirty years. He has edited numerous biblical reference works, including the "Baker Theological Dictionary of the Bible" and the "Evangelical Dictionary of Theology."
Contributor Bio: Yarbrough, Robert W
Robert W. Yarbrough (PhD, University of Aberdeen) is professor of New Testament at Covenant Theological Seminary in St. Louis, Missouri. He has authored, coauthored, or translated several books and is coeditor of the Baker Exegetical Commentary on the New Testament.
To browse more products click the back button at the top of the page.
Arch Children's Books
Need Help? Call Customer Service at 608-723-5867
11:00AM - 2:00PM Monday-Friday 9:00AM - 11:00 AM Saturday Central Standard Time
Need books or bibles by the case? Special discounts for churches or groups, call 608-723-5867, ask for ext. 100
Despite our best efforts, a small number of items listed on our website may be mispriced.
These WWW pages ©2019 Books of the Bible Christian Bookstore. All Rights Reserved.Books of the Bible Christian Bookstores